Thursday, February 21, 2008

Politics

It has been a very political week for me.

On Tuesday, I had wanted to attend the Obama rally at the Toyota Center. I only had standby confirmation, so I did not go. Hanging around the Toyota Center by myself at night is not my idea of a good time.

Instead, I went to the Harris County District Attorney debate at South Texas College of Law. The Democratic candidate did not go because he is running unopposed. So, I got to listen to the 4 Republican candidates engage in some verbal sparring. I am biased. I like Jim Leitner because he is a defense attorney and a great lawyer. He is a former prosecutor and served in the military. Kelly Sieglar is a 21-year ADA, a typical one, at that. Former judge Pat Lykos seems ok; she took a shot at Kelly. I have been told that Kelly kicked someone off a jury panel because they are a member of Lakewood Church. Wow... Does she know how powerful a voting bloc the religious right is??? How does she expect to get elected if she pisses off the Christians (who are probably registered to vote)? Captain Perry is a joke; he's a 26-year veteran cop and civil lawyer. What the hell does he know about being a criminal trial lawyer?

After the debate, I exited the auditorium and stood by the elevators waiting to leave. Arnold left the auditorium and saw me. After he saw me standing by the elevators, he took the stairs. He's 43 years old, and he can't get on the same elevator as me or stand in my immediate vicinity. That's funny!

Tonight, I watched the Clinton-Obama debate on CNN.com. (I don't have cable.) I enjoyed it. I still don't like Hillary. Ever since her husband was running for president, I have disliked Hillary. Someone posting a comment on the CNN blog made a comment I agree with: Bill & Hillary Clinton had 8 years to fix health care and failed. What is going to be different this time around if she gets elected? My answer, nothing. She's an idiot. She said that discriminating against sick people is unconsitutional. Umm... Has she read the Constitution or the Supreme Court cases interpreting it? If she had, she would know that State action is required to enforce equal protection or due process violations. Where's the State action, Mrs. Clinton? She is trying to get people fired up with rhetoric that has nothing to do with the law, but most people would not know that. Most people hear the word "unconstitutional" and immediately get riled up.

Of course, I'm the idiot that went to law school.

I thought Obama carried himself well. Clinton took some cheap shots at Obama; how Washington of her.

Now, I am debating with myself which primary I should vote in. I'm not sure.

1 comment:

Brian Kelly said...

Totally vote in the Democratic primary..McCain has it wrapped up. He apparently played some dirty politics in FL with getting the Independents to vote for him in FL. They were not supposed to be allowed b/c they are independents, not registered Rep. Sounds like something Hillary would do. Hillary will be toast if she doesn't win TX or OH, so I would vote -- this will determine the Democratic Nominee.