Monday, January 21, 2008

Law vs. Business

I finally had my salary meeting with the law firm that first offered me a job after I abruptly left my last job. I am not sure that the firm is the right place for me. Maybe I was right to not immediately accept the offer when it was made. The last time I did that, I was disrespected and unappreciated for two and a half years. Something inside me told me to wait, to not jump at the first thing that fell in my lap.

Well, God knows me better than I know myself.

I was disappointed during the meeting. They kept telling me that they had to make sure their investment is me was a good business decision. They told me I would not be adding much to the firm the first year because I would be learning immigration law most of the time. They told me that I had to consider two things as a lawyer: [1] the law, and [2] business. They said if I concentrated too much on being a good lawyer, I would not succeed in the business of law. And I told them that concentrating solely on the business aspect is bad for the law aspect. They told me that my number was too high. They are going to take my number and think about it between the four of them and call me back with a counter-offer. Well, I do not know that I can accept anything lower than that because that number is a minimum for me. I know that I am worth more than I am asking. They do not even realize that an investment in me is an investment in their firm. In no time at all, they would not even be able to imagine life without me.

I cannot stand it when people talk about the business of law and the practice of law in the same sentence! That reminds me of my former boss. He cared too much about the business and nothing about the law. I think balancing the two things is a dangerous thing. If you balance them, then there is the possibility that business will outweight the law at least some of the time, and that sets a bad precedent.

At the end of the day, I want to be a good lawyer. I want to be the best lawyer I can possibly be. I know that if I work hard enough, the money will come to me. How can you plan for next year if you do not even know if you are going to be here tomorrow? Then, where will all that planning for next year get you? The reason I want to try to be the best lawyer I can possibly be every day is because I want to be able to sleep at night. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and have no regrets. I want to be a good lawyer, not a greedy lawyer.

Today, I want to be the best possible lawyer I can be. Tomorrow, I place it in God's hands because only He knows what will happen. I place my tomorrows in His hands. Because of my faith in Him, I know He will take care of me.

No comments: